“Who doesn’t like moussaka? The layers of potatoes, eggplant, blended with a rich white sauce and topped with a ground beef mixture, is a traditional Greek dish. A fresh salad dressed with Mavra’s Greek Oil would make a perfect accompaniment.” – Mavra
- 6 medium potatoes (red or white)
- 4 medium to large eggplants
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 2 large red tomatoes, ripe
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 8 cups 2 percent milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Slice potatoes and eggplants into round, thin pieces. Pat dry. Fry potato and eggplant slices in vegetable oil until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, saute ground chuck and drain fat; add onion and tomatoes and saute for 3 minutes. Add 4 ounces of water and simmer until meat is well cooked.
- In a pan, melt butter. Add flour and stir until mixed. Slowly add milk, stirring carefully between each addition. Stir until all milk is added and until mixture comes to a simmer. Simmer two minutes or until mixture thickens a bit.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Add some hot milk mixture to eggs and stir rapidly. Rapidly add egg mixture to milk mixture, stirring constantly, being careful to incorporate eggs well. Cook under a low heat until mixture thickens. Add cheeses and nutmeg.
- In greased 13×9 inch baking dish, place 1 cup white sauce. Follow with a layer of potatoes, some white sauce and then eggplant. Repeat in four layers, finishing with ground beef.
- Place baking dish on pan to capture overflow during baking. Bake for one hour. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!